Thursday, March 11, 2010

Goddess Grown Organics 4.0

THE SNOW IS MELTING! Aside from the huge mound that sits in my front yard that was strategically built upon by the snowplow, MOST of the snow in my yard has melted. It left me gazing at a big gross heap of nothing, and a whole raw canvas to work with this year.

Last years harvest was okay. Well, less than okay. I planted over 20 different fruits and vegetables yet didn't have the oomph to care for it let alone harvest most of it. I can now admit that I was suffering from PPD from my Cesarean birth and didn't want pick up a garden tool let alone leave the house. This meant that my earnest efforts in the late of spring brought shoddy results when it came time to harvest and I had no desire whatsoever to do anything remotely active for fear of my gut being ripped open (but that my friends is an entirely different post!)

I realized late this past fall that I have had excuses now for the past two years of having a poor harvest, but in the end I *know* it was due to my efforts, my laziness and procrastination. Looking back I feel I could have saved myself from my depression much earlier had I made it out the front door and out to the back to dig in the dirt...that was the exact reason I was drawn to growing foods anyway- how the dirt can draw you back day in and day out and how freeing it feels to grow your own food and break the chain of mass-produced food stuffs. I needed that these past two years and unfortunately couldn't break out of my own funk to do that.

But this year? This year is WAY different! I've always planned early but sometimes not always stuck to my plans, or gotten around to them way later than necessary. I know that if I stick to it, my season of growing will keep me and my family much healthier than ever before and will be exactly what my H2B and I need to get us out of our eating junk funk. Instead of sitting at the window watching my cabbage wilt away in the sun, I am making plans now to water, love, nurture, harvest, and EAT that cabbage. The same goes for all the other 20 plus varieties I choose to plant this year.

And so begins my list of to do's for this growing season, starting under the pretense that I WILL, I MUST begin this season's projects and carry them out, grow and love each plant, and enjoy it when it's time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment